I have cookies on the brain…
Maybe it’s the upcoming Cookie Wars Contest, maybe it’s my attempt to eat healthy, or maybe it’s the six boxes of assorted Girl Scout cookies I found tempting me in my fiance’s kitchen this weekend.
Whatever it is, I figure the only way to get cookies off my mind is to get them into my stomach!
Unfortunately for my sweet tooth, I’m currently in the process of getting ‘wedding dress ready’ and cookies aren’t exactly part of my Paleo diet plan (if you haven’t heard about Paleo, click here for some great information!).
While I usually would just bake a batch of normal cookies and justify it as my ‘cheat time’ from Paleo, I just got back from a week of Spring Break at home, and let’s just say I didn’t stand a chance against those Thin Mints.
Her recipe is both vegan and gluten-free, and while it looks and sounds amazing, it has a few ingredients that aren’t Paleo approved.
If you’re not eating Paleo and want to use Angela’s original recipe, click here.
Otherwise, you can follow my easy, Paleo friendly recipe adaption.
Paleo Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 cage free egg
1 cup natural almond butter (I love MaraNatha Organic)
1/3 cup natural honey
2 tbsps coconut milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
1/3 cup coconut flour
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
1 tsp stevia (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. With an electric hand mixer, beat the almond butter, egg, honey, coconut milk and vanilla until combined. In a separate bowl mix together the dry ingredients.
3. Combine wet and dry ingredients. Add chocolate chips.
4. Roll into 1 inch balls and place on the baking sheet 2-3 inches apart.
5. Bake for about 10 minutes until lightly golden. Allow to cool for 5-10 mins. Serve warm with a glass of almond or coconut milk!
My Paleo version of Angela’s cookies turned out beautifully and were exactly the cookie fix I needed- take that Girl Scout cookies.
Whether you’re living by a vegan, gluten-free or Paleo lifestyle (or if you just want to see what all the fuss is about), you can’t lose with either of these cookie recipes.
I hope you’re all working on your own original cookie recipes for this year’s Cookie Wars- entries are due May 1!
Until next time,